It’s been a year since my last post. That amazes me.
The year has been full of changes in my creative life. I have tweaked and retweaked my branding. There are some major elements that I will never let go of. I want to be a positive force through design. Adding a bit of magic to people’s lives by creating things that make them happy, serene or uplift their day is something I will always aspire to.
My next posts will feature a project in which I will do a mini work of art everyday using one of my too many craft books. I look at them daily and know that I should be delving into those pages that I faithfully paid good money for yet they sit on the shelves tightly mushed together just waiting for some attention. Well, attention they will get, finally! I will use a different book each day.
Below is the chosen one. My first in the series of my Craft Book Challenge. Wish me luck!
Golden Fluid Acrylic – ultramarine blue
Piece of foam sponge
Metallic thread – gold
Polyester thread – copper
Found objects – old keys, metal no.4
To create the sun printed quilt top, I spread the paint out on the muslin with the sponge, making sure the muslin was highly saturated. It was a nice sunny day so I put the fabric outside on the grass and placed the metal number and the keys on top. When it was fully dry I removed the objects and added the felt batting. I thread painted inside the little openings within the object’s shapes then hand stitched the stones onto the quilt. Added the cotton fabric backing.
Tip: Metallic thread is iffy when machine stitching. I used a metallic needle and the thread still broke intermittently. Stitching slowly helps.
15) “puffy pear”
Jaquard Textile Color – golden rod, olive green, sky blue
Beaded trim Polyester fiberfil batting Polyester thread – copper
Transfer Artist’s Paper
Royalty free image – pear
After randomly tying the rubber bands around the tightly squeezed muslin, I put the fabric in a plastic container and squeezed out paint on top of it, purposely leaving some white spaces. I squished it with gloved hands to work the paint in and left it to dry overnight. Somehow the green took over but the tie-dye effect was a success. The pear image was printed on Artist’s Transfer Paper, cut out and then ironed onto the quilt top. The fiberfil batting was put under the pear shape and I stitched an outline around it to create the trapunto effect. I then trimmed of the excess fiberfil and made the quilt sandwich. I free motion stitched around the pear to bring out the puffiness. The trim was added to the bottom.
Tips: Although many paints nowadays are non-toxic, if your hands are going to be dabbling in a lot of paint, as a precaution it may be best to wear gloves. Regarding, trapunto, it is best done using polyester batting. It creates more dimension than cotton batting.
August 22nd has come and gone. It has been almost two weeks since my plan to make art daily using my surface design/artful techniques list was excitedly put into effect. Then… procrastination and consternation took over. I have only my little 3D applique sample to show for all of my gung ho, full steam ahead, art adventure intentions. I made a couple of other things but they are just not good enough to share.
During one of my lengthy procrastination sessions I decided to turn the project into a series of mini art quilt journals. I love making art quilts and the hope is that by narrowing my options, the decision making process will be less harrowing. Decisiveness is not one of strengths but I’m working on it.
The mini quilt in the photo was made with cotton commercial fabric, warm n’ natural batting, freeform free-motion stitching and a little bit of hand stitching. My 3D applique is a heart pillow which I stuffed with bamboo stuffing, embellished with a button and attached to the quilt with some hand stitching. I call it “do more.”