Continuing to adhere to the project list — three more abstract notions in the form of mini art quilts:
8) “broken record“
Sheet music scraps
Lumiere – pearl turquiose
Golden Fluid Acrylic – ultramarine blue
Golden Gel Medium (Matte)
Cotton embroidery thread – turquoise
Cotton thread – variegated
Blue Painter’s Tape
Clay shaping tool
Water in a spray bottle
I taped the CD (folded the tape unto itself and put it under the CD) to the top of a glass sheet to create a mask. I spread out the paint on the sheet and placed the muslin on top of it to creat a monoprint. After carefully removing the fabric, I then removed the CD, painted it and laid it on top of the circular white spaces that the mask left on the muslin; cut out and glued the music scraps to the painted CD spaces using the matte medium as glue. Some water accidently spilled on the quilt top and made a tiny discoloration on the dark blue background so I decided to spray on a little more water. Hence the batik look of the background. The quilt top was placed onto the felt batting. I made holes in the mica using a very sharp, pointy clay tool to allow for stitching. I hand stitched the mica onto the quilt top and then carefully machine stitched the quilt top and batting to the cotton fabric backing.
Tips: Mica is fragile. Be sure and use a light hand when working with it. It’s a great material for protecting delicate papers.
9) “blowsy scraps“
Painted canvas scraps
Cotton black and white fabric
505 Spray and Fix (fabric adhesive)
Acrylic paint – yellow, black
Polyester thread – copper
I prepped the muslin for dyeing with vinegar and water, boiled the burdock root in water and drained it to get a deep rich coloring. I dipped the muslin and simmered it for over an hour. Well, the results were less than stellar. It was much too pale. No more burdock for me. I should have used blueberries or red cabbage. To reach some type of acceptable hue, I put the fabric back in the pot, added some coffee grounds and let it sit on a very low simmer for an hour. After rinsing, a nice soft beige was achieved. The over-dye job was more successful. I put some diluted yellow paint in a plastic container and scrunched the black and white fabric down in it. I made sure to leave a little of the original fabric undipped to show the contrast. I flicked some black dots on top of the already painted canvas scraps using a toothbrush, to meet the “painting” requirement on the list. Placed the pieces of over-dyed fabric with it’s 505 sprayed, haphazardly arranged canvas scraps on the muslin background. Added some free motion stitching and assembled the quilt.
Tips: Use perseverance when dyeing with natural materials. It can be difficult to get a rich, vibrant coloring. Also, be scrap happy. Save small scraps. They come in handy for a myriad of projects.
10) “floating lotus“
Golden Fabric Medium
Golden Fluid Acrylic – phthalo blue (green shade)
Stencils – lotus, abstract design
Lumiere – pewter
Polyester thread – copper
Piece of cut foam sponge
The fluid acrylic was mixed with a small dollop fabric paint medium then spread on top of the muslin leaving some of the fabric’s original white color visible. After it dried I stenciled on the lotus and abstract shapes using paintstiks a stencil brush. I had previously painted a scrap of fusible web and cut out some abstract shapes. The shapes were ironed onto the quilt top, the top was added to the felt and backing.
Tips: Don’t let unusual color combos scare you. I discovered that I love the uniqueness of blues and dark brown together. Regarding fusible web, if you decide to iron on painted fusible, don’t leave the iron sitting on it too long. I did that and it darkened the paint and took away the original glittery look of the paint.